Re: Question collaborative editing.

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Question collaborative editing.
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2020 09:30:53 +0200

Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> writes:

>>> It is a bit more complex, because for remote editing it is not easy to
>>> establish connection in different NAP, cross firewalls, and so on. And
>>> as I said before, we don't have resources to provide a server service
>>> for this that runs "our" CRTD server.
>>>
>>> Withing the same network it still requires a sort of local service to
>>> solve the conflicts. And that also needs to be implemented...
>>
>>Well, we can start with something simple. How about implementing
>>collaboration on local area network first. I remember we had fun with
>>'talk'. Once implemented on LAN, users can then figure out how to work
>>across continents using some kind of tunnel.
>>
>>An example use-case might be:
>>
>>user1:
>>1. C-x C-f (find-file)
>>2. M-x enable-collaboration ; this generates a session-key
>>3. Share session key with collaborators via chat/email
>>
>>user2: (via Tramp)
>>1. C-x C-f /collab:session-key@ip-address:filename <RET>
>>
>>Users get cursors with different colours.
>>
>>The advantage of using Tramp is that users can always use Ad-hoc
>>multi-hops.
>>
> Yes, this is exactly my expected workflow more or less. It is p2p as I
> have mentioned before I would prefer it to be. The tramp integration is
> something way far from my capabilities, but in general that's the
> idea ;).

I don't want to be the grinch, but pls remember what Tramp is: a library
for alternative implementations of file operations. I don't see yet how
/collab:session-key@ip-address:filename fits into the game, but maybe it
needs more details to understand. For example, which file operations
shall be treated.

Furthermore, I also don't understand what needs to be done on the remote
side wrt collaboration. A remote file in Emacs is still a file,
connected to a buffer. All primitive file operations can be applied on
this.

Best regards, Michael.