Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 23:59:35 -0400

  > For MELPA warning it is good to be specific, as if there is some
  > wrapped proprietary software on MELPA, then let us find out which
  > software it is, and one can make a list, or even ask MELPA not to
  > include such.

  > Which one it is exactly?

I don't know, but probably someone here knows of some examples.

I have a vague recollection, though, that some of us already asked the
maintainers of Melpa to make this change, and they did not want to.

Does anyone actually know?

  > The list of packages that wrap proprietary software would be anyway
  > required, if GNU wish to publish elpa.nongnu.org

Yes and no.  We would not try to import all packages from MELPA except
those that were excluded for this reason.  Rather, we would need to
examine each package to decide whether to import it, and whether and
how change it.  In the process we would see if the package has any
problems that might be reasons not to import it.

--
Dr Richard Stallman