Re: fixing url-unhex-string for unicode/multi-byte charsets

From: Boruch Baum
Subject: Re: fixing url-unhex-string for unicode/multi-byte charsets
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2020 05:34:46 -0500

On 2020-11-06 10:05, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2020 02:54:57 -0500
> > From: Boruch Baum <boruch_baum@gmx.com>
> >
> > Katsumi Yamaoka at the emacs-w3m project points out that emacs has a
> > function `eww-decode-url-file-name' that solves this issue. Maybe that
> > function should become the canonical emacs solution?
>
> eww-decode-url-file-name solves a slightly different problem: URLs we
> find in Web pages.  There, the encoding is predominantly UTF-8, so we
> mainly use that, and fall back to other possibilities as backup.
>
> I believe in the trash case we already know these are file names, so
> at least some of what eww-decode-url-file-name does is unnecessary,
> IMO.

This all started from Arthur Miller's observation that restoring a
'remote' file was failing. He said that's a new feature in emacs, that
one can trash a file over ssh or some other protocol and the file is
trashed to your local file system. In that case, Arthur pointed out to
the list that the colon character of the protocol wasn't being decoded.
Once emacs needs to account for remotes, it needs to account for the
protocols and urls of those remotes.

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0