Re: Changelog message for updating packages

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Changelog message for updating packages
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2020 20:24:52 +0300

* Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> [2020-11-08 19:12]:
> > You may find it in Emacs Lisp manual under (elisp) Packaging
> > D.8 Conventional Headers for Emacs Libraries
> > ‘;;; Change Log:’
> >      This begins an optional log of changes to the file over time.
>
> FWIW, I use this in each of my Elisp files.

I have seen it and it is good practice. When it is too big, then it
can be in separate file.

Also good practice is that you explain which functions are defined by
its groups. Which are interactive functions and so on. That helps
greatly when researching the package.

I like the Drew's style and I like Pascal Bourguignon's style. You
write packages both in very similar fashion with great attention on
details and helping those who read it or study. I have not read Emacs
main code, it must be useful to learn. What I reviewed are many
packages on MELPA as I am discovering those using proprietary
software. There I have seen bad styles and what what...

For ChangeLog files there is built-in Emacs mode, it works well for
external files.