Re: Does child-frame not support alpha frame param?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Does child-frame not support alpha frame param?
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2020 10:10:06 +0100

> the below code seem to not work, is it child-frame's limit?
>

>      (make-frame
>       `((parent-frame . ,(window-frame))
>         (fullscreen . nil)
>         (alpha . 20)))

It's a limitation of the window manager.  For example, it doesn't work
with Debian stable's xfwm4 here and it doesn't work with Windows XP
either.  That's the main reason why I don't show eldoc info with child
frames but use classic tooltip frames instead.  But ISTR that alpha for
child frames works with Windows 10 and there might also exist
compositing window managers for GNU/Linux that can handle it.  So YMMV.

martin