Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 18:18:38 -0500

>> I think the reason is that it more closely mimics what happens with the
>> echo area and it arguably (philosophically) better matches the default
>> setting of `enable-recursive-minibuffers`.
> Maybe I'm missing something, but the message "Command attempted to use
> minibuffer while in minibuffer" is displayed in other frame, just like
> in Emacs 27.

I'm not sure which scenario you're referring to.  What I was referring
to is the fact that if you do `M-: (message "hello") RET`, the "hello"
message subsequently follows the selected frame (until it gets replaced
by another message or erased by command that doesn't emit any message).

> Probably the better solution will be to not take the minibuffer away
> from minibuffer-only frames.  After all, it's all they got :)

Personally I philosophically like the (non-default) nil setting for the
new variable, so that minibuffers stick to the frame where they
presumably operate.

But since my Emacs only has a single mini window anyway, I'm never
affected by this setting at all, so I don't have any real experience
either way.

        Stefan