Re: prettify symbols question

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: prettify symbols question
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 16:59:41 +0200

> From: "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org>
> Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 12:01:37 -0500
>
> What would the proper way to handle say #o210 in prettify-symbols?
>
> I've attached a simple test, I would expect to see the #o210 sequence
> in the file to be shown as a unicode lambda, but nothing changes -- I
> suspect it is due to some encoding mismatch between the buffer and the
> string.

prettify-symbols-mode doesn't act on text in comments, see
'prettify-symbols-default-compose-p'.  If you move your #o210 out of
the comment, it should get displayed as you expect.

You can replace 'prettify-symbols-default-compose-p' with your own
function, and set up 'prettify-symbols-compose-predicate' to use it
instead of the default predicate, if you want to prettify stuff in
comments.

If the above doesn't work, then maybe it _is_ related to encoding.
What does the mode line say about 'buffer-file-coding-system when' you
visit this file?