Re: On obsoleting defcustoms

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: On obsoleting defcustoms
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 10:16:05 +0200

> Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 17:59:34 -0800 (PST)
> From: Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > Not showing it in `M-x customize-group' seems like a
> > good compromise.
>
> If it no longer works, yes.  But in that case we
> should raise an error, not issue a compiler warning.
>
> If it does still work then I see no reason why we'd
> remove it from `customize-group'.  Especially if
> `customize-option' still works etc.  This makes no
> sense to me.  (Just one opinion.)

Your opinion is noted.  I think otherwise, and so does Stefan; others
who chimed in didn't think the idea was wrong, either.  So let's agree
to disagree, and please let's stop arguing about this aspect of the
issue.  Our decision is that we want to remove the obsolete options
from display where that makes sense, to advertise them less.