Re: [SPAM UNSURE] Xref completion

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [SPAM UNSURE] Xref completion
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 10:22:42 -0800

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:

> Hello!
>
> Currently, when a xref query hits multiple candidates Emacs shows a Xref
> buffer with the various candidates and their location.
>
> While informative, it's a bit slow in terms of UX because the user has
> to navigate an extra buffer just to confirm the candidate.
>
> I've addressed this issue as part of my work on Helm-SLY, a Helm for the
> fork of SLIME.
>
> https://github.com/emacs-helm/helm-sly
>
> In particular, I've overridden the behaviour with regards to Xrefs and
> instead of showing the Xref buffer, I'm now offering completion: the
> user can match against the symbol but also against the file and line
> position.
>
> See screenshot attached.
>
> What do you think of adding this behaviour to upstream Emacs' xref?

Sometimes choosing a single definition is what you want, other times you
want to see the list. So this would have to use a different keybinding
or prefix.

--
-- Stephe

Written from unceded ancestral homelands of the Huichiun, an Ohlone
people,for which I pay Shuumi Land Tax
(https://sogoreate-landtrust.com/shuumi-land-tax) as an inadequate token
of reparation.