beginners elisp question - parallel execution

From: simon254
Subject: beginners elisp question - parallel execution
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 18:01:41 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

sorry if this is a very dumb question:

in the past there were discussions about multi threading in emacs. My
impression is that where most of a performance gain like this would be useful
is for e.g. computing fuzzy scores for a long list of candidates or similar
things.

Would it be possible to introduce something like pure functions in fortran too
elisp? I.e. functions that are not allowed to have side effects and for example
act only on one list element? This could then be given to a new "number
crunching" routine (mapcar_para?) which applies them in parallel to a list (via
openmp or whatever)? Or is the concept already flawed?

Again, sorry if this is dumb,

Simon