Re: master 45a1653: ; Fix last change to bibtex.el

From: Basil L. Contovounesios
Subject: Re: master 45a1653: ; Fix last change to bibtex.el
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 16:35:48 +0000

"Roland Winkler" <winkler@gnu.org> writes:

> Thinking once more about this I am not sure this is the best
> approach in the first place.  The way bibtex-unify-case-convert is
> defined now as a function, it should get a :rsiky tag, it should not
> be used as a file-local variable.  On the other hand, the most
> common scenario I can think of for situations, where one wants to
> have buffer-local values for bibtex-unify-case-convert is via
> file-local settings.  So I think it makes more sense that
> bibtex-unify-case-convert should be one of the symbols identity,
> downcase, capitalize or upcase.  And these symbols are allowed as
> buffer-local variables.  (I cannot think of a useful scenario beyond
> this that would justify a user-defined function.  Am I missing
> something?)
>
> From a different perspective, if bibtex-unify-case-convert was a
> variable holding a function name, the variable name should be
> something like bibtex-unify-case-convert-function.

Instead of marking the user option as :risky, why not give it a :safe
predicate that checks whether it's one of the predefined values?

That way it can safely be set to identity, downcase, etc. whilst
disallowing arbitrary functions in a file-local context.  Or am I
misunderstanding something?

Thanks,

--
Basil