Re: Eager garbage collection

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Eager garbage collection
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 20:07:31 +0200

> From: Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org>
> Cc: sbaugh@catern.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 17:26:21 +0000
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > The devil, as usually, is in the details.  What is radically different
> > between the two is the value of X1.  In the gcmh.el case, the value of
> > X1 is alarmingly large, something I keep warning people against for a
> > long time.  I don't want us to adopt such dangerous practices.  And
> > using that large value is central to the idea of gcmh.el, so if we
> > lower it significantly, I wouldn't expect it to provide significant
> > benefits.
>
> I see, I was discussing the implementations rather than the defaults.
> Indeed these are easy to change to what we think is suitable for going
> into master.

Once again, I think the central idea of that package is that the GC
threshold is raised to a dangerously high level while commands run.
If you lower that high threshold, the whole concept of the package
will collapse, and the effect will be much smaller than the author
intended.

So it isn't just a matter of changing the defaults.