RE: select yank via completion

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: select yank via completion
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 09:00:13 -0800 (PST)

> There is still a small problem:
> sometimes it's handy to slightly edit a previous string
> from kill-ring before inserting it.  But with completing-read
> it's not easy to insert the space character, e.g. after 'M-p'
> while editing, typing 'SPC' errors with "[No matches]"
> and doesn't insert a space character.
>
> Could you recommend a more lightweight version of
> completing-read that doesn't override the 'SPC' key?

It's _always_ handy to be able to edit a kill-ring entry
before inserting it into the minibuffer.

It's high time that `completing-read' stop using `SPC' for
word completion.  `SPC' should be self-inserting (and the
same for `?').

There's no reason nowadays (and there was never a good
reason) to expect that completion candidates will not
include space chars.

Dunno why this is such a tooth-pull.  It took decades to
even get `SPC' to be self-inserting for `read-file-name'.
I raised the same issue for `completing-read' at that time
(and before then).

Word completion?  How much is it actually relevant now?
In any case, it's easy to allow for it.  Icicles uses
`M-SPC' for that.