Re: Additional cleanup around xterm-mouse

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Additional cleanup around xterm-mouse
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 12:00:31 -0500

> The function widget-key-sequence-read-event currently does not correctly
> translate function keys for the terminal.  It has code that attempts to
> apply function-key-map, but does not apply input-decode-map, so it can not
> read function keys.  (Additionally, it should be using
> local-function-key-map now.)  Try the following steps.

It's wickedly difficult to apply those maps correctly.
The only sane way to do that it to reuse the `read-key-sequence` code,
which is why I wrote `read-key` in the first place.

I think the only sane way forward is to work on top of
`read-key-sequence`, and more specifically to start using `read-key`
much more extensively and when bumping into problems to try and fix them
in `read-key` rather than retreating to some ad-hoc hack.

        Stefan