Re: Emacs memory usage

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Emacs memory usage
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 17:01:45 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 08:57:49 +0300
>> From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
>> Cc: arthur miller <arthur.miller@live.com>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> If you think that vsize is pointer to the problem and that we shall
>> track visually what do we do that it starts increasing, maybe I could
>> make a function that logs what we do. Those major commands. Is there
>> some way to log the major commands?
>
> This is probably a good idea.  You can take a snapshot of the value
> returned by recent-keys from time to time, and then convert them to
> human-readable form by using code similar to what view-lossage does.
See if this helps:

https://github.com/lewang/command-log-mode

It would be nice to write a hook to dump memory data Eli is interesting
in and automatically email to Eli's! :D

Just kidding with the email, but to periodically insert whatever
stats Eli wants. Maybe each hour or so. I am gonna leave for today, I am
not at home much more, but maybe tomorrow if somebody can't do it.