Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 10:47:49 +0000

Now type C-x 8 RET SPACE RET. This sucks the open minibuffer over to F2, despite the C-r operation having nothing to do with the suspended operation in the minibuffer.

This is normal again, C-x 8 RET starts an operation which uses the minibuffer, and the cursor leaves the buffer in which you are and moves to the miniwindow. As explained above, when an operation which activates a minibuffer is used on a frame while other minibuffers are active on another frame, they are moved to that frame. I honestly can't see what's wrong with this.

IMO the only other reasonable behavior is to make sure that _all_ minibuffers are moved from frame F1 to frame F2 whenever one switches from a frame F1 to a frame F2. This is not feasible with Emacs 21-27, and still not feasible with Emacs 28.

I wrote too fast here: this is feasible with Emacs 28 (by setting minibuffer-follows-selected-frame to t, which is its default value), but there is no way to get the previous behavior of Emacs 21-27.