Problem with font selection / BigSur OS

From: Nicolas P. Rougier
Subject: Problem with font selection / BigSur OS
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2020 18:03:41 +0100

After upgrading to BigSur OS (Apple) and using EmacsMac 27.1, I'm unable to select some font weights. It worked with previous version (Catalina) and I think this is not related to any Emacs change. I would thus like to understand why it fails but I don't know where to look for the code responsible to select a font given a spec.

More precisely, for the following three lines, the last one evaluates to nil:

(find-font (font-spec :family "Roboto Mono" :weight 'regular))
(find-font (font-spec :family "Roboto Mono" :weight 'thin))
(find-font (font-spec :family "Roboto Mono" :weight 'light))

while the equivalent using fc-match on a terminal returns the correct filename:

fc-match "Roboto Mono:style=Regular"
fc-match "Roboto Mono:style=Thin"
fc-match "Roboto Mono:style=Light"

From this, I can deduce Emacs doesn't use fontconfig on mac but
then I don't know which method is used instead.

Nicolas