Re: dired-do-find-regexp failure with latin-1 encoding

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: dired-do-find-regexp failure with latin-1 encoding
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2020 21:07:49 +0200

On 29.11.2020 20:51, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
I'm not so sure. LC_ALL=C seems more problematic than -a:

$ grep ф test.txt
фыва
$ grep -a ф test.txt
фыва
$ LC_ALL=C grep ф test.txt
(nothing)
I guess this regression in Grep happened when they "internationalized"
the DFA code, sigh...

Sorry, I double-checked, and it seems to have been caused by my terminal emulator too: if I set LC_ALL in Emacs and do a search through shell-command or dired-do-find-regexp, it succeeds.

You might want to verify this yourself, though.

It almost sounds like we should develop our own replacement for Grep,
one that doesn't suffer from these problems.

If we were going to bundle a new tool, we could pick some existing one. Perhaps one that has already been mentioned in this conversation ;-)