elisp--local-variables triggers an error on special input

From: Evgeny Zajcev
Subject: elisp--local-variables triggers an error on special input
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2020 15:53:05 +0300

I've noticed that sometimes company raises an error in my *scratch*, I've shrinked the case and got:

(with-current-buffer (get-buffer-create "pwp")
  (erase-buffer)
  (insert "((eg \"\C-,\")")
  (elisp--local-variables))

Evaluating this sexp raises "Invalid modifier in string" error

Not sure this is intended, I think elisp--local-variables expects `invalid-read-syntax` error for this input, but got another error and does not handle it preventing error from happening

--
lg