Re: decision on moving core packages to ELPA; also move to obsolete?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: decision on moving core packages to ELPA; also move to obsolete?
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 20:33:41 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: Daniele Nicolodi <daniele@grinta.net>,  stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 12:03:57 -0500
>
> >> Org is distributed as part of Emacs but it is routinely also
> >> installed and updated from ELPA and AFAIK it does not implement any
> >> special trick to make this work smotly.
> > The idea is that users should be able to install, upgrade, and
> > downgrade such packages exactly like they do with unbundled ones.
>
> I still don't see what's the problem.
>
> With current Emacs, users can upgrade/downgrade their version of Org,
> python.el (etc...) via `list-packages`.  Clearly the same would apply to
> bundled ELPA packages.

Doesn't package.el install stuff under ~/.emacs.d/elpa/ ?
If so, what happens with installed Lisp files under /usr/share/ ?

(Sorry, sent the previous response too soon.)

And what about the relation between the version in ELPA and the
branches/versions of Emacs in the Emacs repository?  IOW, how will a
package that needs Emacs version N+1 work with Emacs version N?

Bottom line, I feel that there's some kind of "trust us, it will be
fine" attitude here, whereas I would expect careful investigation of
all these aspects and some description of the procedures.  We had
discussions about this a year or two ago, and my impression from them
was that there are still loose ends that no one has bothered to
resolve.  I don't think dismissing these aspects is a good way of
making progress here.