Re: decision on moving core packages to ELPA; also move to obsolete?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: decision on moving core packages to ELPA; also move to obsolete?
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 18:09:54 +0200

On 16.12.2020 17:33, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

- When making an Emacs X.YZ release, we require that every "external"
package has a tag emacs-xyz in its repository, and we pull in and
package that version.

- In the very same file in Emacs' tree that the repositories with
external packages will be listed, we also list the corresponding
revisions that will go into the upcoming release.

The latter is essentially the "git modules" model, which we can also
use.

I think, if the above suits us (see my other message in this thread),
we should indeed use "git submodule".

Perhaps. And since it's a standard model with a checkout inside the worktree, it should be easy to integrate in the build script, and it might even solve the future problem of how to depend on the code in a bundled package.

One advantage it has is that the package author forgotten to push a
tag for some Emacs release, we're still covered.

You mean, advantage compared to using submodules?  If so, I don't
think I see how submodules are different in this regard.

No, compared to the first option (external repos having special tags).