Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 15:45:08 +0300

* Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> [2020-12-22 20:53]:
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 11:03:04 +0000
> >> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> >> From: Gregory Heytings via "Emacs development discussions."
> >> <emacs-devel@gnu.org>

> >> What do you mean by this?  I'm probably biased, but I don't see what
> >> important "capability of a word processor" is lacking in Emacs.
>
> Personally I think Emacs is half-wysiwyg, or more then half by now.

I can print into PDF or Postscript and will get a different font then
on the screen. Good for me as I am fine with my printing, yet it does
not reach What You See Is What You Get paradigm. If I would record
screenshot, that would be only case to get what I see.

In the Org mode there is Title and Author keywords, so that is far far
from getting what you are seeing.

If we reach what LyX document processor has reached, the paradigm of
WYSIWYM or What You See Is What You Mean that would be already
enough. That could be reached already now if basic fonts such as
Courier, Roman, Sans Serif, can be mixed and they can
be.

See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WYSIWYM