Re: Recentish C-s M-y change

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Recentish C-s M-y change
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 08:08:12 +0300

* Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> [2020-12-29 22:30]:
> >> Such changes of keybindings are not something new: in 2011 we changed
> >> 'C-s M-y' from 'isearch-yank-kill' to 'isearch-yank-pop',
> >
> > But this continued to work for the most frequent case of yanking last
> > kill?
>
> If 'C-s C-y' is easier to type than 'C-s M-y', shouldn't then
> more beneficial to have 'C-s C-y' the most frequent case of
> yanking last kill?

That is exactly beneficial and way more easier. I did not in first
place even understand here the problem as it was all in my fingers
without thinking.

C-s C-y is what is logical deriving from basic C-y command.

C-s C-y M-y is what is logical to find some previous searches.

And if using C-s M-y directly that means user wish to select something
from the kill ring. Logical.

> Ok, since everyone wants the old keybinding back, I'll restore
> isearch-yank-pop to old code, and also add a new command
> 'isearch-yank-from-kill-ring', but unbound because there is
> no free key in isearch-mode.

Not everyone and it is definitely not logical.