Re: Multi-OS Emacs buildbot?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Multi-OS Emacs buildbot?
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 15:14:06 +0100

Toon Claes <toon@iotcl.com> writes:

>> So it is some information that stage test has failed, but it shows only
>> the Makefile output, and not the more informative test summary. That
>> doesn't help.
>
> I'm not familiar with the Emacs test suite, but where else can we get
> info about the test results? Is there another log file?

As Alan wrote already, there is one log file per test file. If a test run
(per test file) fails, the log file is shown. See definition of Makefile
variable WRITE_LOG:

## Save logs, and show logs for failed tests.
WRITE_LOG = > $@ 2>&1 || { STAT=$$?; cat $@; exit $$STAT; }

However, since we ran into a job timeout, the job has stopped before we
could see the log file. This is fixed now for process-tests.el, because
every single test is wrapped now by a timeout of 60 seconds, which let
the tests fail in time.

The Makefile knows also special handling when running on hydra, showing
the test progress unconditionally in the Makefile output. Currently, it
has the value:

ifdef EMACS_HYDRA_CI
## On Hydra, always show logs for certain problematic tests.
lisp/net/tramp-tests.log \
: WRITE_LOG = 2>&1 | tee $@
endif

That is, running Tramp tests will always show the progress in the
Makefile output. We could use the same feature for emba if we want.

> Toon

Best regards, Michael.