Re: emacs for pure Gtk3

From: 황병희
Subject: Re: emacs for pure Gtk3
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2021 17:13:33 +0900

"Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <jao@gnu.org> writes:

> On Sun, Jan 03 2021, 황병희 wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Thanks for testing Dmitry^^^ and i really like that people using pgtk
>> emacs because i think Wayland will be the next linux distro's soil.
>
> FWIW, i've been using the pgtk variant with sway for a while, and it's
> working well for me, no show-stoppers so far.  it sure feels snappier
> than x11. font rendering looks pretty similar to me; if anything, i'd
> say it's a tad crispier.
>
> two minor glitches: i use transparency, and sometimes i've had to
> re-enable my theme after startup for it to really be set at the level
> i'm asking (95%); and emacs doesn't seem to realize that i'm using a
> dark gtk theme when it chooses its default background/foreground (but i
> don't think that works for me in X/exwm either, although there i'm just
> using startx to launch the "desktop").
>
> in all other regards, pgtk is working remarkably smoothly, and the only
> disadvantage is that it seems a bit memory hungry: it easly goes to
> ~1.5Gb of RES RAM with the same setup and usage that makes the X version
> consume ~800Mb compiled without any toolkit (and that's with exwm, so in
> X11 emacs is also the window manager).
>
> but it's definitely a pleasure to have emacs working on pure wayland,
> and i find myself wondering how hard would it be to port also exwm
> (which uses xcb, i think) so that i could get rid of sway too :)
>
> so many thanks and kudos to the developers, and please keep up the good
> work!

Dear jao,

Wow! i am happy to know your sharing. To me, yours is really good
example using Wayland and Emacs. Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

However still i am using X11 in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Debian 11 Bullseye
will be my next distro because i heard that Bullseye will have Wayland
by default in start-time. When Bullseye is out, at then i would like to
do testing this pgtk emacs (maybe 28.1?) ^^^

Sincerely, Wayland fan Byung-Hee

--
^고맙습니다 _布德天下_ 감사합니다_^))//