Re: decision on moving core packages to ELPA; also move to obsolete?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: decision on moving core packages to ELPA; also move to obsolete?
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2021 15:00:37 -0500

> So the simplest solution for ada-mode is to move it to emacs.git, and
> make it a :core package. I would still maintain a separate upstream
> repository in git.savannah.nongnu.org/git/ada-mode.git, and only update
> emacs.git with releases (as I do currently for elpa.git).

I think this is a very suboptimal solution since synchronization between
the two copies becomes painful.

> This would have no effect on my current ada-mode release process, other
> than the precise name of the publishing repository. It would also have
> no effect on the current Emacs development process.
>
> One possible problem with this; ada-mode contains one huge file
> ada_lr1_parse_table.txt.gz; this is a full LR1 parse table for the Ada
> language; it is about 5 MB compressed in ada-mode 7.1.4, and will grow
> to about 23 MB in the next release (Ada 2020 has several new features).

[ IIUC this is a generated file, so it should ideally not be stored in
  Git, tho I understand it might be impractical, like requiring an Ada
  compiler to (re)generate.  ]

> The current emacs master .git is 804 MB, so that's not a huge increase,
> but it is significant.

[ FWIW, mine says 470MB.  It probably depends on how recently Git ran
  its GC.  ]

        Stefan