Re: Patch to avoid flicker in Isearch with lazy count

From: Augusto Stoffel
Subject: Re: Patch to avoid flicker in Isearch with lazy count
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 08:32:48 +0100

Hi Juri,

On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 at 19:48, Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> wrote:

> Does this mean that for users who already customized
> ‘lazy-highlight-initial-delay’ to 0, now it's recommended to
> revert such customization, and leave it at its default non-zero value?

That's right.  I'll make sure to add a NEWS entry and fix those typos in
the next iteration of the patch.

> Currently, run-with-idle-timer is used for lazy-highlight-initial-delay,
> and run-at-time for lazy-highlight-interval.  But you replaced all
> with run-with-idle-timer.  Any reason not to use run-at-time
> for lazy-highlight-interval to reduce delays for quickly finishing
> the already started lazily highlighting successive matches?

That was just to avoid repeating a piece of code at several places.  It
makes no difference with the default ‘lazy-highlight-interval’ of 0,
right?  But it might actually be better to make
‘lazy-highlight-delay-max-chars’ to affect only
‘lazy-highlight-initial-delay’ and not ‘lazy-highlight-interval’.  What
do you think?

Best,
Augusto