GNU Emacs as a lightweight IDE (seeking volunteers)

From: Anand Tamariya
Subject: GNU Emacs as a lightweight IDE (seeking volunteers)
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2021 12:30:08 +0530

TLDR I'm seeking volunteers for merging my changes to Emacs. Reach out to me if you're interested.

Hi,
I've been working on some improvements over CEDET to turn GNU Emacs into a lightweight IDE (limited or no debugging). If you have a small project in any of the supported languages, you can get IDE like features without any additional installation. Given the framework, supporting more languages boils down to simply adding a new grammar and overloading few functions.

Presently, it works for the following languages (demo links in brackets):
- C ( https://youtu.be/dUEHo5nrnc8 , https://youtu.be/04HUN52M8Sc )
- LaTex ( https://youtu.be/KL0KNa6Nh4M )
- SQL ( https://youtu.be/dUbqdY0KU0U , https://youtu.be/yJ55cQez5Tc )
- HTML + JS + CSS ( https://youtu.be/jJZMRZINAL8 , https://youtu.be/FkOYUPjdID8 )
- Java ( https://youtu.be/MWpvKSTz4qc , https://youtu.be/zmRac_BNbv0 , https://youtu.be/U2L0iLZI_cE , https://youtu.be/4UcPIdTJLOM )
- Elisp ( https://youtu.be/i-qwqKbedCA , https://youtu.be/DMg2rDn4LzQ )

Complete playlist is here https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW9poAEUvGDAMYvvznljaNtvooaJZxsFQ

I believe it's now stable enough for a merge with main branch. However, when I look back, the changes have been huge (87 changed files). You can see the changes here https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/-/compare/master...dev (scroll down the page). Hence, I intend to do this in following stages:

Stage one (Testing)
Though I've been using this for over a year, I believe it can do with some testing by others.

Stage two (Minor changes)
I'll be accepting PRs for these to my github repo:

Stage three (Major changes)
This should be final merge with main. We would need to do it in small chunks over emails in this mailing list. However, we can't get to this stage before the other two stages as that might mean breaking the stability.

It's not a separate package as I believe this should be part of base emacs. So I developed it as such. Given that CEDET is part of Emacs, if you have ideas on packaging it as a separate package, I can use your help.

If this sounds interesting and you'd like to help, I'd like to hear from you.

Regards,
Anand