Re: "Fix" sag scaling for hidpi

From: Grzegorz Kowzan
Subject: Re: "Fix" sag scaling for hidpi
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2021 12:26:41 -0500

On pią 05 lut 2021 at 11:24, Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> wrote:

>     Lars> Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> writes:
>     >> Sorry, I should be more specific. This blurry problem only occurs on
>     >> nsterm with hidpi screens. (That’s because cocoa reports logical pixel
>     >> sizes instead of physical ones.)
>
>     Lars> Should this be fixed (somehow) by changing the cocoa dimensions to
> be
>     Lars> physical ones, so that Emacs is consistent across architectures?
>
> Thatʼs the wrong direction: pgtk is moving us towards logical pixel
> sizes (gtk already uses them, but there are some rough edges).
>
> Robert

Please see also the extended discussion here:
https://github.com/masm11/emacs/issues/90

I would really like if this were solved at the Emacs level, without
requiring modifications in external packages. As far as I understand, on
Mac OS logical pixels are reported because there is no other option. This
makes pdf-tools, for example, include Mac OS-specific code to not
display blurry PDFs. With pgtk, we get to choose what is reported and
the current choice of logical pixels will require introducing the same
kind of platform-specific code into external packages for pgtk as for
cocoa.

Grzegorz