Re: master 0161c9d 1/2: Load all generic-x.el modes unconditionally

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: master 0161c9d 1/2: Load all generic-x.el modes unconditionally
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 10:44:35 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> > What do we tell all those (myself included) who require generic-x in
>> > their init files?
>>
>> I don't know what they need to be told.
>> Can you clarify what broke or risks breaking because of the change?
>
> I thought it was clear: suddenly those users will have a gazillion
> modes defined they never intended to use or load or even know about.

Could we perhaps take another step back here and ask: why is that a
problem?

To my mind, I only run the risk of getting some unexpected syntax
highlighting (which would actually be welcome in my use).

If the generic modes themselves are worse than having no syntax
highlighting, they should either be fixed or removed.

What am I missing?