RE: [External] : Re: Smarter M-x that filters on major-mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Smarter M-x that filters on major-mode
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 15:56:47 +0000

> > It would indeed be very useful to provide a mechanism to exclude
> > commands from M-x that are useless outside of their major mode.
>
> Nobody uses M-x in an explorative way?
>
> IMO this is a bad idea for discoverability. What is (and what is not)
> relevant to a mode is necessarily subject to a judgement call by
> someone.
>
> Some thought needs to go into how give users a way to escape that
> confinement, I think.

+1. Those are exactly 3 of the points I tried to make.

1. M-x is useful for more than invoking a single command.
2. Command relevance, even just for invocation, is
   relative, can be complicated, and cries out for human
   judgment (design, option, runtime, or all).
3. Users need to be able to control this themselves.