Re: Discussions about key bindings

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Discussions about key bindings
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 13:39:26 +0100

On Fri, Feb 12 2021, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> I find the recent spate of discussions about key bindings for
> third-party code rather befuddling.  It's been suggested that Magit
> should move their bindings to `C-x v', and it's been suggested that
> there should be a number of bindings that should be reserved for
> third-party packages, and they should share them.

The discussion has veered in various directions, some of which irrelevant, but
the original question certainly is relevant, I think. Which is whether Emacs
should have a policy on 3rd-party packages creating global key bindings.

Your stance seems to be that the status quo is good enough, i.e., that it's not
necessary to have such a policy. Gregory feels differently, and so do I, though
in the opposite direction.

In the end, though, it's up to you and the other maintainers, so I'll take your
message as a sign to stop arguing this topic. :-)

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments