Re: master 760910f: Add a new buffer-local variable `minor-modes'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master 760910f: Add a new buffer-local variable `minor-modes'
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 13:17:17 -0500

> But how do we know which ones are enabled?  As far as I know, there's no
> way to know (reliably) -- the :variable that shows whether the mode is
> on or not isn't preserved anywhere.

I can't look at it just now, but I remember this problem and have the
vague recollection that I've made some progress on it, but if it's not
sufficient yet, we can and should just fix it.

> Even if we had a function like that, looping over all possible minor
> modes and calling predicates for them sounds hopelessly slow when you
> have to do this for thousands of symbols...

You could do it eagerly just once before calling all the predicate
functions for all the commands, so that'd be cheap.

        Stefan