Re: Clarifying the C-c letter guideline

From: chad
Subject: Re: Clarifying the C-c letter guideline
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 17:35:51 -0800

On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 4:14 AM Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> wrote:
> • Don’t define ‘C-c LETTER’ as a key in Lisp programs.  Sequences
>   consisting of ‘C-c’ and a letter (either upper or lower case) are
>   reserved for users; they are the *only* sequences reserved for
>   users, so do not block them.

There seems to be some uncertainty in how this should be
interpreted. Does this mean that...

- No package/library/third-party code may ever bind a command or map to
  C-c LETTER, under any circumstances (in the letter of the law).

- A package/library/third-party code may bind a command or a map to C-c
  LETTER, if the user is explicitly asked and he or she gives
  permission (in the spirit of the law).

IIRC, the intent was roughly "anyone interested in binding key inside Emacs should assume that individual users may have arbitrary bindings to anything inside C-c", with the strong implication that they cannot "safely" establish any common or conventional binding inside that space. (I don't recall if the original intent was restricted to C-c [alpha], C-c [alphanum], or C-c [any-single].

If my memory from ~30 years ago is correct, this didn't outlaw a local group from making packages that used C-c bindings, with the understanding that a given lab or research group would manage conflicts within themselves as needed. Of course, in those times a given elisp "package" was likely to be distributed  uuencoded via email, ftp, or usenet, with changes noted in RCS or SCCS headers, so "distribution" wasn't the same sort of concern.

Hope that helps,
~Chad