Re: Infrastructure for packages to suggest customizations

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Infrastructure for packages to suggest customizations
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 21:37:06 -0500

> in the recent discussion on reserving a keymap for packages, I proposed
> extending package.el to support a sort of formal specification of what a
> user should or could customize. As there were some supportive comments,
> I attempted to improve on an earlier proof-of-concept[0], resulting in
> the attached patch.

Thanks.  Could we "simply" make it a Custom group?
For keys I'd imagine something like

    (defcustom avy-global-goto-key nil
      :group 'suggestions
      :type 'key-sequence
      :options '("C-:")
      :set (lambda (symbol value)
             (if value (global-set-key value 'avy-goto-char))))

> Part of my intention was to generate code that can easily be changed
> and adapted by the user (unlike custom-set-variables), so I don't
> analyse the files themselves. This might not look nice in some cases,
> but then again, these people are probably not the ones using this
> feature

I don't understand what you mean to say here, sorry.

        Stefan