Re: Infrastructure for packages to suggest customizations

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Infrastructure for packages to suggest customizations
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 09:09:27 +0300

* Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> [2021-02-16 04:17]:
> There are a few things I am not satisfied with, such as that the default
> behaviour for package-suggest-configuration is to just append the
> generated configuration to `custom-file' or `user-init-file'. Part of my
> intention was to generate code that can easily be changed and adapted by
> the user (unlike custom-set-variables), so I don't analyse the files
> themselves. This might not look nice in some cases, but then again,
> these people are probably not the ones using this feature

It should be in the user's init file. Those suggestions could define custom
variables and use custom interface to save them.

> Another point is that package-suggest-configuration has an option such
> that the command will not change anything (PREVIEW, activated with a
> prefix argument). I was wondering if it would make sense to make this
> the default behaviour whenever the command is invoked interactively.

In my opinion it should change as that helps users. It is always better that
computer assists human in full.

Another point is that those suggestions, if you think they could be intrusive
or become intrusive too much, should be enabled by the will of the user.

If it becomes part of NEWS then I suggest that users first have to enable the
option to be asked about that. But if not too intrusive, maybe it should be by
default.

In general, questions like that should be asked once automatically, and user
shall be told how to customize it again or how to get asked again manuall.