Re: locked history file

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: locked history file
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 17:52:04 +0200

> From: Gunnar Horrigmo <gnunar@stoffe-pro.net>
> Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 11:43:31 +0100
>
> Has something changed recently regardomg how emacs handles the history
> file? I'm seeing this quite often now, when running multiple emacsen:
>
> Error running timer ‘savehist-autosave’: (file-locked
> "/home/gunnar/.config/emacs/emacs.d/history" "gunnar@titanium (pid 1039)")
>
> .. and while it's perfectly understandable, I've been running
> multiple emacsen for many, many years, and this feels new.
>
> This is on 27.1.91, btw.

What does "recently" mean in this case?  What was the previous version
of Emacs you were using, when these errors didn't happen?  Emacs
27.1.91 is a pretest of Emacs 27.2, and we generally don't make
behavior changes in pretest versions.  So "recently" is surprising,
unless you previously used Emacs 26 or older.

> I apologise if this is too noobish for emacs-devel. I appreciate a
> pointer if I should've asked elsewhere.

In general, such issues should be submitted to our issue tracker by
invoking "M-x report-emacs-bug RET".

Thanks.