command mode-specificity [was: scratch/command 064f146 1/2: Change...]

From: Drew Adams
Subject: command mode-specificity [was: scratch/command 064f146 1/2: Change...]
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 19:50:20 +0000

> I believe many (most?) commands will remain
> unmarked, because they make sense in any mode.

That was my guess also.

I couldn't get a response when I asked for
reasons why it was expected that 97% of
commands are mode-specific.  (Stefan even
characterized asking for that to be only
a joke.)

Maybe you and I are missing something, here?
I'd really like to know what's behind the
"stat" that 97% of commands are mode-specific.

If that figure is accurate, or even anything
close to it, that might make me change my
opinion on a few things, and even make me
change the default behavior of some code I
write.