Re: After Jan 30 update, gnus nnmh marks all messages unread when enteri

From: Barry Fishman
Subject: Re: After Jan 30 update, gnus nnmh marks all messages unread when entering group
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 23:06:22 -0500

On 2021-02-16 17:54:39 -05, Barry Fishman wrote:
> On 2021-02-16 22:56:18 +01, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>> Barry Fishman <barry@ecubist.org> writes:
>>
>>> When entering a nnmh group, all the already read articles are shown.
>>> This does not seem to happen with the nnimap and nntp backends that I
>>> also use.
>>
>> You don't say what version of Emacs you're using, but I'm unable to
>> reproduce this in the current Emacs 28.
>
> Oh... :-(
>
> This is on the master branch.  I had thought it was simply a lexical
> binding issue, since it was triggered with the gnus lexical binding
> commit, and my other issues with it were fixed in updates (like the
> gnus-article-browse-html-parts fix).
>
> However,  now using an "emacs -q" and doing a simple setq gnus-select-method,
> things work OK.  I will have to do some bisecting of my own setup.

It turns out that the problem is that I do:

(setq nnmh-be-safe t)

I did this because I use NMH from the command line to move and delete
messages, and repack folders, and I thought it would be needed so gnus
would not get confused.  Was I wrong?

After the update, however, with nnmh-be-safe set, gnus just decides that
all the messages in the folder are unread.

--
Barry Fishman