Re: Always-true predicate?

From: Pip Cet
Subject: Re: Always-true predicate?
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 18:56:42 +0000

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 1:18 PM Basil L. Contovounesios <contovob@tcd.ie> wrote:
> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > Would it make sense to add a function that's exactly the opposite of
> > `ignore' (for symmetry and convenience)?

> > If so, what would it be called?

> > I've googled to see what other languages do.  Rust and NPM has "always",
> > and many more Java-inspired frameworks have "truePredicate", but this
> > isn't trivial to google for...
>
> I'm okay with any of 'always', 'true', 'non-nil', 'top', ...

How about 't'?

I do realize there'd be a problem with hooks, which use 't' as a flag
in a list of functions...

Of course, there's an unfortunate tradition in computing to consider
1, rather than infinity, the canonical "true" value, so (t nil) might
be expected to be nil, but apart from that, I don't think confusion is
that likely, at least with a single argument.