nativecomp and throw/catch across files

From: Aaron Jensen
Subject: nativecomp and throw/catch across files
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 23:43:01 -0600

Hi there,

I've been trying out the nativecomp branch and I use straight.el as my
package manager.

One of the things that it does is throw when it detects that its own
compiled bytecode has changed. It does this from within straight.el:

(eval
 `(unless (equal
           (emacs-version)
           ,(eval-when-compile (emacs-version)))
    (throw 'emacs-version-changed nil)))

https://github.com/raxod502/straight.el/blob/2d407bccd9378f1d5218f8ba2ae85c6be73fbaf1/straight.el#L45-L49

It then catches within bootstrap.el, which loads straight.el:

(catch 'emacs-version-changed
        ;; straight.el has a fun hack that throws
        ;; `emacs-version-changed' if the version of Emacs has changed
        ;; since the last time it was byte-compiled. This prevents us
        ;; from accidentally loading invalid byte-code, hopefully.
        (load (expand-file-name (concat straight.el "c")
                                default-directory)
              nil 'nomessage 'nosuffix)
        (setq emacs-version-changed nil))

https://github.com/raxod502/straight.el/blob/2d407bccd9378f1d5218f8ba2ae85c6be73fbaf1/bootstrap.el#L47-L54

Unfortunately, this doesn't work with nativecomp. It claims that
there's no matching catch when a throw actually happens.

Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
‘/Users/aaronjensen/.emacs.d/early-init.el’:

No catch for tag: emacs-version-changed, nil

To reproduce, you should be able to use the bootstrap code:
https://github.com/raxod502/straight.el#bootstrapping-straightel

Then recompile emacs (which changes the value of emacs-version) and run again.

I tried narrowing it down to just a try/catch in two different files
and that worked, so there must be something more peculiar going on
here.

Aaron