Re: A different way to interactively pass options to commands

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: A different way to interactively pass options to commands
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 00:32:29 -0600

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> I see how it makes sense for a special mode, for a buffer in which
> letters can be used as commands.  But how can this be applied
> to an ordinary buffer in which letters self-insert?

The transient UI is only displayed when running a command.  For example,
I would press `c' in magit to show the popup for the commit action.

In some text mode with self-inserting letters, you would run a command
with a modifier instead, like you would any command.

To hide the popup, you would need to press `C-g' to hide the popup.
That would stop letters from being interpreted as commands (i.e. make
them self-insert again).