Re: master 388a874 2/4: Do interactive mode tagging for man.el

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: master 388a874 2/4: Do interactive mode tagging for man.el
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 20:24:49 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Stefan, did you consider the fact that woman.el defines a different
> mode, but uses some commands from man.el?  (I didn't try invoking the
> commands you tagged, so maybe there's no problem.)

Thanks for catching this.

Yes, completion for these commands in Woman is indeed now broken when
filtering is enabled.  Sorry about that.

The problem here is that `woman-mode' uses `man-mode' but does not
inherit that mode.  Instead, it *calls* `Man-mode' from `woman-mode',
with some extra `fset' shenanigans that I don't see a trivial fix for.
(This unusual arrangement should probably be fixed at some point...)

So if we want to keep the tagging, I see two possible workarounds:

1) Tag the man-mode commands with both `Man-mode' and `woman-mode'.

2) Introduce a new mode, `man-shared-mode', inheriting from
   special-mode, that both `Man-mode' and `woman-mode' can inherit
   from.  Then tag the commands using that.

Both options have their pros and cons.

WDYT?