Re: master fbc9c59: Make goto-line-history buffer local only when so cus

From: Basil L. Contovounesios
Subject: Re: master fbc9c59: Make goto-line-history buffer local only when so customized
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 13:15:02 +0000

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

>> > ++++
>> > +** The history list for the 'goto-line' command is now a single list
>> > +for all buffers by default.  You can configure a separate list for
>> > +each buffer by customizing the user option 'goto-line-history-local'.
>
>> I think this contradicts a preceding entry:
>
>> ** Input history for 'goto-line' is now local to every buffer.
>> Each buffer will keep a separate history of line numbers used with
>> 'goto-line'.  This should help making faster the process of finding
>> line numbers that were previously jumped to.
>
> Well, I think "contradict" is not quite the right word.  Whether the list
> is buffer local or not is now customisable, which it wasn't before.  The
> default is somewhat arbitrary, as it always is in these things, with some
> people proclaiming a particular setting "obviously" should be the
> default, others saying the opposite is "obvious".  That the list, before
> that previous patch, wasn't buffer local points to the current default.
>
> Or, have I misunderstood what you're saying?

I think so.  My point is that the older entry says goto-line has
buffer-local history by default, whereas the newer entry says goto-line
does not have buffer-local history by default.

The older entry came with the following change:

Make goto-line keep a separate input history per buffer
7c5d6a2afc 2019-12-24 17:40:15 +0100
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=7c5d6a2afc6c23a7fff8456f506ee2aa2d37a3b9

The newer entry came with the following change:

Make goto-line-history buffer local only when so customized
fbc9c59b9e 2021-02-17 21:15:51 +0000
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=fbc9c59b9eb02d49f426341ee32334784d224ce4

The latter change reverts some parts of the former, and makes the
behaviour customisable, but the older NEWS entry was not updated to
reflect this.  I was hoping you would merge the two NEWS entries or
simply delete the older one, since it no longer accurately represents
the default, and is duplicated by the newer entry.

This part of (info "(elisp) Minibuffer History") also needs updating:

 -- Variable: goto-line-history
     A history list for arguments to ‘goto-line’.  This variable is
     buffer local.

Thanks,

--
Basil