Re: New 'feature/native-comp' configure flag

From: Doug Davis
Subject: Re: New 'feature/native-comp' configure flag
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 15:17:03 -0500

Pip Cet <pipcet@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 7:44 PM Andrea Corallo via Emacs development
> discussions. <emacs-devel@gnu.org> wrote:
>> As of 42fc752a14 the new configure flag to activate the Elisp native
>> compilation is '--with-native-compilation'.
>
> I still think we should adhere to the GNU Coding Standards
> (https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html) in this case and
> use --enable- here (native compilation is a feature), not --with-
> (there is no external package called "native-compilation" that we
> somehow depend on).

libgccjit is an external package the same way libjansson is an external
package (at least right now I don't know of a GNU/Linux distribution
that ships libgccjit with their gcc package. I could be wrong). So the
similarity of

--with-json requiring libjansson (not some package called json)
and
--with-native-comp requiring libgccjit

does make sense to me. Just my 2c.