Re: emacs22 migration to VMS

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: emacs22 migration to VMS
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2021 13:21:06 -0500

() andrés ramírez <rrandresf@gmail.com>
() Fri, 05 Mar 2021 13:46:43 +0000

   Is there a link or article about this migration. It should
   have been fun.

Last i checked, there was only the unmerged branch (search for
something w/ "vms" or "ttn").  There might be still be some
mention on EmacsWiki.

Gist: the porting job was a paid gig, and when funding ended, i
lost interest.  Too, i think there was an official dropping of
VMS as a porting target going on around that time.  (Hence the
"unmerged" status.)

IIRC, yes, it was moderately fun.  I didn't have a VMS box of my
own, so all development work (including testing w/ X) was done
cross-Atlantic on a real VAX/VMS cluster in Pennsylvania (USA).
(I was living in Italy at the time.)  DCL is kind of cool...

If someone were to organize a crowd-funding drive to merge that
branch (and maybe try porting something "this century" :-D), i'd
be happy to hack Emacs for money, again.  (You manage, i hack,
we both get paid.)  These days, post-Snowden, i would probably
require a local box, though, so keep in mind that's all part of
the "manage" side of things...  /me backs away nervously...

--
 (defun responsep (query)               ; (2021) Software Libero