RE: [External] : Re: Indentation conventions for Info manuals; recognizi

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Indentation conventions for Info manuals; recognizing code
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2021 15:33:27 +0000

>   > But other manuals don't seem to use the same indentation.  Several
>   > (org, eintr, ccmode, efaq(-w32),...) indent code (including Elisp)
>   > 5 spaces - which is the same amount that other, non-code text is
>   > indented.
>
> Aside from eintr, I don't know anything specific about those manuals.
>
> The eintr manual was written by Bob Chassell; I presume it is still
> generated from Texinfo, right?  So I find it puzzling that it produces
> a different format in the Info file.
>
> Why does it do that?  Is the source formatted in an unusual way?  Does
> it somehow specify different parameters for generating the Info file?

Sorry, this was my misunderstanding, from a too-cursory
look at the Elisp manual.

All manuals (including Elisp) have varying indentation,
for different things.  It's not possible, in any general
way, to rely on indentation level to determine whether
some content is code-like, i.e., deserves a fixed-pitch font.