Re: GNU Emacs as a lightweight IDE (seeking volunteers)

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs as a lightweight IDE (seeking volunteers)
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 16:26:03 +0200

On 09.03.2021 07:28, Anand Tamariya wrote:

    Before that, it might be helpful to post them in a branch for anyone
    who
    might want to take a look, to give a pre-review, so to speak.

It's available in gitlab branch https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/-/tree/dev <https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/-/tree/dev> . If you want it in some other repo, can you provide me access to that repo?

Gitlab looks good enough for me.

Regarding your access to the Emacs repository, it's probably a discussion for later.

    Relatedly, while looking through your /compare/master...dev link, I
    noticed some questionable changes, though. Like some commented-out
    code,
    or checked in company-semantic.el (did you add some extra features to
    it?), or changes to a number of files in /progmodes/ (!). These should
    have to go, unless accompanied with real good justifications.

Changes to company-semantic.el will of course go into company package. It's presently in my repo for my convenience. I've added some post-completion and template changes (eg SQL).

We want to obsolete company-semantic sooner or later because it duplicates CEDET's completion-at-point-functions function, hopefully migrating whatever features are missing.

Changes to some files (e.g. in progmodes) is the reason why I want atleast couple of more users to test the functionality. I don't want to push some changes that might have wide impact on the basis of my individual testing alone. What if some existing functionality is breaking that I'm unaware of (something that I don't use)?

Even if nobody complains, you will still have to explain/justify every such change.