Re: RETRACT Gnus nnmh problems revisited (with fix)

From: Matt Armstrong
Subject: Re: RETRACT Gnus nnmh problems revisited (with fix)
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 10:51:08 -0800

Barry Fishman <barry@ecubist.org> writes:

> On 2021-03-10 08:39:11 -05, Barry Fishman wrote:
> The fix does work when I setup e-debug on nnmh-update-gnus-unreads, and
> just go when I hit the breakpoint.
>
> Am I missing some defvoo magic?  Is this a compile issue?

It sounds like you have modified the `nnmh-update-gnus-unreads' function
but are not seeing the effect until you "e-debug" it, especially after
re-starting Emacs.  Is that a correct description?

If that is the case, the simplest explanation is that the .el file is
newer than its corresponding .elc file (compiled elisp), probably
present in the same directory.  Emacs, by default, will load the older
.elc file anyway.  Emacs probably issued a warning about this when the
.elc was loaded (check your *Messages* buffer).

If that is the case, a simple `eval-defun' (by default, bound to C-M-x
and works while point is within the function) would cure it too.  It is
probaly not related to edebug, but instead re-evaluating the function
definition.

To compile the .el file, try:

  M-x byte-compile-file

After that, you should be able to restart Emacs and see the expected
effect of your edits.

See this for a lot more information:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Byte-Compilation.html#Byte-Compilation