Re: Little improvements on pulse.el

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Little improvements on pulse.el
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 20:59:33 +0200

> 2. The name and the docstring mention the use with hooks, but would be
> nice to use with advices as well. For example, to highlight the current
> line when the cursor, buffer or window changes:
>
> (dolist (symbol '(scroll-up-command
>                   scroll-down-command
>                   recenter-top-bottom

Scrolling commands can be handled by this hook:

(add-hook 'window-scroll-functions #'pulse-line)

>                   other-window
>                   windmove-do-window-select

(add-hook 'window-configuration-change-hook #'pulse-line)

>                   kill-current-buffer
>                   delete-window))

(add-hook 'window-state-change-functions #'pulse-line)

> The code above does not work, since 'pulse-line-hook-function' does not
> accept any argument (sent by the advice function). We can make it accept
> optional arguments, but again the name will not be the best one.

A new command could ignore its arguments:

  (defun pulse-line (&rest _)
    (interactive)
    (pulse-momentary-highlight-one-line (point)))